Saturday, December 10, 2011

Rainy Chinese Afternoons: Chinese Noodles, Chinese Tea, Chinese People




- December 10, 2011, Saturday.

- After my morning agenda at UP Diliman, I had, once again, a free Saturday afternoon. Saturday afternoons, or Saturdays in general, had always been the "special day of the week" for me since way back when. My Saturdays almost always spelled fun, excitement, and productivity, or its not-so-total opposite, relaxation, leisure, and friends. Usually, it's a mixture of both.

- Today, I decided to meet my curly friend Melissa again, and have a leisurely stroll at Chinatown. I went to her house at 2pm, and chilled for a while until Melissa finished preparing. Her dog was glad to see me, as always, which is one of the reasons why I like to go to Melissa's house. Melissa and I also prepared some kalamay from Bacolod, although I didn't have some; I was still full from a semi-late lunch.

- Just as we were going to leave Melissa's house, my graduate-school friend called me up because she was lost in Binondo with her sister. They couldn't seem to find their way, and they weren't able to see any Chinese restaurants too. I had a hunch that she and her sister were in the Sta. Cruz area, near the Quiapo-Chinatown border. (And yes, they got lost there.)

- I asked my friend to meet me and Melissa in front of the Binondo Church. With that seeming to last forever, Melissa and I, and later joined by Kimberly (Melissa's sister,) did some errands. Even after those errands, my friend and her sister still couldn't seem to find their way, so Melissa and I sat at the back row of the church, while watching a wedding. Kimberly on the other hand went elsewhere to buy some ice cream, and would meet us soon.

- My friend and her sister soon arrived after getting lost at the edge of the world. She finally found out where the "mainland Chinatown" area was (near the church.) Melissa and I gave both of them a short tour, and familiarizing them with the restaurants around Ongpin, and the restaurants' specialties.

- Melissa and I, joined once again by Kim, went ahead after knowing that my friend and her sister more or less knew their way around Chinatown. The three of us went to Mr. Ube to satisfy my noodle craving as well as Melissa's, and spent a good one hour there, talking, laughing, and Melissa's hair getting curlier by the minute.

- We later left the restaurant after Melissa wanted to have some ice cream. Kimberly showed us this new milk-tea-and-dessert place at the new Mandarin building, where she bought her matcha ice cream earlier that afternoon. On the way there, we passed by Shirby's store, and luckily, Shirby was there. :D:D:D:D

- The milk-tea-and-dessert's place was The Tea Life, and is owned by two mainland Chinese women. It baffles me how they can do business especially since both of them cannot speak a word of Filipino. Although most of their customers are Chinese people, both overseas and mainlanders, there were still some non-Chinese customers who'd want to try out their products.

- The lady recommended the green tea milk tea as my "first" Tea Life drink, since it was a bit mild, and "pure-tea" flavored. Kimberly had another ice cream, while Melissa tried their rose milk tea. I was able to try out Melissa's rose milk tea, and still think that Little India's rosemilk was still superior. My drink however, was one of the best and the "most natural" milk tea drinks I have ever had. I could distinctly taste the green tea leaves, and my drink wasn't very sweet too. The tea was "easy to drink," according to Melissa, and was affordable too. The store has opened for barely a week, and they're planning to have a bigger store if things go well.

- We later left the store after Kimberly was about to finish her ice cream, and hung out at the al fresco area beside the building. I thought it was a good set for a Koreanovela, except that the river below was very dirty, occasionally with black blobs of whatever rising to the surface.

- I left for home at around 6:40, enjoyed the evening breeze, while my feet suffered from the tiny puddles from the rain earlier today. Well, my yellow boots saved the day. :>:>:>:>

No comments:

Post a Comment