Wednesday, November 17, 2010

NORTH (EDSA) is the "Other Side of Down": David Archuleta's (REAL) Meet-and-Greet




- Novemer 17, 2010, Wednesday

- NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL A MEET-AND-GREET - when the fan actually meets and greets the object of fandom, unlike the previous less-than-10-minute veni-vidi-vici "meet-and-greet" episode. This time, Archuleta gave his fans a chance to meet and greet him, after the mini-concert.

- Here was how it went. I read the other day about Archuleta's second visit to the Philippines. The first 400 people that would buy his CD at the venue, SM City North EDSA's Sky Dome, would be privileged enough to sit (ehem, STAND) at the floor-sitting grounds (the closest possible "seats" to David,) and they would be able to let David himself sign the CD.

- Since I had no Wednesday classes, I went to SM North as early as possible. I was supposed to go with my former neighbor Riezeryl, but she backed out this morning. My other two companions, Dianne Sy and Dianne Krupasa, needed to go elsewhere before going to SM North. My friend Eric, however, wasn't sure if he would go or not. (He ended up going anyway.)

- Going to SM North itself was one hell of an adventure. After taking the LRT2 to Cubao, I was supposed to take the MRT to North Ave. However, the line at the ticket booth was longer than the mythical Chinese dragon. I decided later on to take a cab, which was another hassling chore. After finding a cab, which I dubbed as a heaven-sent cab, I gave the cab-driver a generous tip after getting off at SM North. It was early in the morning anyway, and maybe the driver hadn't had breakfast yet.

- I had to ask several guards how to get to the Sky Dome, since I never really went to the new-and-LARGELY-improved (pun intended) SM North. I ran towards the long line, which obviously was the people hoping to be included in the first 400 head count. After lining up, a person from the Archie fan club wrote numbers on our arms with an easily washable marker, just to organize the head counts. I was nervous since the line was equally notorious as the one I saw at the MRT station. Luckily, the person wrote "332" on my hand, which meant that I would be able to meet-and-greet the great and talented David Archuleta (who happens to be three months and three days younger than I am. Heehee.)

- When the "ticket" booth (no actual "tickets" were given, as the CDs or the SM ecobags bought at the venue were counted as "tickets") opened at 10am, the line slowly moved. I stood in the line for around 2.5 hours until I got my CD. Within that 2.5 hours, the girl in front of me fainted because of the sun's intense heat. Gladly, her mother was there to assist her, and I, as well as the person in front of them, assisted the mom by holding some of the things. I was in charge of holding her water bottle. Haha. The girl regained consciousness almost instantly, but it was also a traumatic experience to see someone faint in front of me. I can tell that she wasn't "lying," just in case people would say that she was putting up an act, since the girl became very pale.

- After buying my CD, I waited for the two Diannes and Eric to finish their classes. I also had a quick lunch in Jollibee, and bought 4 Burger Yums to go just in case I/we got hungry while waiting in line for the entrance. It was also a given that my three companions were not going to be part of the first 400 people.

- I walked around the mall, trying to comfort myself, but I just kept on worrying since my companions hadn't arrived, and feared that the wouldn't be able to buy CDs or ecobags, and not be able to attend the mini-concert all together. I also had a Bailey's gelato treat at Art's Cream Gallery. (Yum.)

- I went back in line, this time for the entrance, and was privileged to be one of the first few people to line up. (The line for the entrance didn't follow the number that was written on our arms; it was back to the first-come-first-served basis.) The next few hours were uneventful, and stood-and-sat alternately. I really wished I had brought my PolSci readings to brush up on what I have read the other day; we will be having a short quiz tomorrow. At least I worried less when I saw my neighbor Dianne arrive, and that she was able to buy CDs and ecobags for herself and the other Dianne.

- When the gates opened at around 4pm, we enterd excitedly, of course. We realized, however, that we "VIPs" were not really treated as VIPs. We VIPs were asked to stand (and squish each other) while waiting for eternity, or rather, until David comes out. The ones in the bleacher (the ones who didn't make it to the 400-people cut off, but were able to buy ecobags and CDs, and can't let Archie sign their CDs,) were seated COMFORTABLY at the back seats. At least waiting for Archuleta for a good 3-hour additional waiting time was more bearable.

- Dianne Sy notified me that they, the two Diannes, were seated. Eric also told me that was in the house. I just gave them their numbers to each other so they could find each other, and because my phone was about to run out of juice. Interestingly, I also saw my friend Bernadette from afar with her UST uniform. I called her up to verify, and we saw each other too.

- VJ Julz of Myx came out around 7pm, and welcomed the crowd to the event. I honestly think that VJ Julz was prettier in person; I wasn't fond of her each time I saw her on Myx - but I had to before because of thesis. Aside from the usual greetings, we were surprised to know that there would be an opening act - a sing-and-dance trio that consisted of Rodjun Cruz, Edgar Allan Guzman, and Lucky Mercado (the "Akin Ka Na Lang" Close-up Toothpaste commercial endorser.) Obviously everyone wanted them to end their performance so the people can see David himself. Still, I thought that the three of them performed really well. They also gave their all, even if they were "just the opening act." They were quite funny too.

- The man himself appeared after several stallings by the opening act and VJ Julz herself. He sang three songs, Escalator, Crush, and Something 'Bout Love. I really like how the songs were sung in semi-acoustic; I'm not fond of drums and such. As opposed to the large backup crew David had last year in the Cookchuleta concert, he only had an awesome Mexican guitarist to back him up, or to accompany him when David played the piano while singing Crush.

- David said "mahal ko kayo" and "salamat po." It was the cutest thing ever. HAHA.

- Just as the autograph signing session was being finalized, such as positioning the table numerous times as if the staff was following some sort of Feng Shui ritual, I finally saw the two Diannes and Eric talking to each other. I waved and waved, until Eric saw me. Gladly, they were able to come closer (but not inside the VIP area of course,) and I asked them to take a photo of me as I was getting my CD autographed; taking pictures with David while we were letting him sign our CD was prohibited. (Boohoo.)

- I know I froze a bit, and maybe "stupid" not to have shook David's hand, as I was still in disbelief that he was in front of me, signing my CD. At least I talked to him -

David: Hi!!
Gilbert: Hi David!!
*David signs quickly*
Gilbert: Thank you very much David!!
David: Ok!!
**the best conversation of the day**

- I met up with my companions and took more pictures at the "photo booth." We also decided to have a quick dinner at the nearby Trinoma, since the MRT was connected to Trinoma. We ate at the Food Court, as we all got to know each other. I got to know Dianne Krupasa, and Eric got to know the two Stephenians and vice versa.

- Right now, I still don't want to listen to my David Archuleta CD, since I've been hearing the album being played in the mall the moment I lined up this morning, until the time I set foot in the Sky Dome. I think the fans were a bit tired of listening to the CD over and over again too, even if they still find themselves singing to the songs, especially when "Something 'Bout Love" was played. Still, it was different experiencing David Archuleta himself perform, even if it was just a short short concert. Again, at least it wasn't like the joke-time "meet and greet" last year.

- I also realized that if I combine the minutes that I "sat down" the whole day (before I arrived home that is,) I think the total "sitting-time" wouldn't have lasted an hour. My legs are still very sore from standing, and I now appreciate chairs more (yes, I do realize that it's possible to sit anywhere, even without a chair.) Well, a fan's got to do what a fan's got to do. :|:|:|:|

- THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR LITTLE (BUT PROUD) COUNTRY AGAIN. PLEASE COME AGAIN. MABUHAY AND GOD BLESS~~~~

6 comments:

  1. hahahaha.okay!:)) sayang di tayo nagkita!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA. Feel ko ito yung "shortcut" autograph niya. Kasi biro mo naman 400 din kaming pipirmahan niya. HAHAHAHA. Ako rin may ganon eh. Yung tunay na signature (for formal documents) and yung "shortcut" signature. Haha.

    ReplyDelete