Sunday, September 25, 2011

Jetsetter Pre-Birthday PART 1: Morning with MASCKS :D:D:D:D




- September 24 to 25, 2011, Saturday to early Sunday.

- Thank God for letting my prof give us a research break, and I had a free day the day before my actual birthday. Even better, I was able to arrange many things with different friends, until I realized that I barely had time to rest in between activities. Well, at least I'd be making most out of my day.

- The problem with yesterday was that I didn't sleep well - err, barely had sleep that is - the night before because my tummy was still working hard to digest all the food I ate last Friday night with Eric. The irritating echo of the neighborhood rooster was also another reason why I couldn't sleep, even if I might have been able to, after my tummy was more or less successful in working with all the food I ate. I think I slept around an hour or two. Shucks.

- I woke up around 7 in the morning to prepare myself for my first agenda of the day: my reemergence in MASCKS. I haven't visited the club since I "left" after last school year, and I had Saturday morning classes that hindered me from visiting the club.

- Last Friday, I had already arranged with the current adviser, Ms. Isip, who happened to be as old as I am, that I would be giving the members a workshop. Even if I barely had enough sleep, I seemed to be more than happy to wake up from my bed and fix myself for the morning. I wasn't able to bring cakes to share to the members, since Goldilocks was still closed when I passed by.

- I arrived in my alma mater at around 8 in the morning, and saw some former members lingering around. Still tired and sleepy, I tried to speak much sense while chatting with the members and waiting for the meeting to start. We were soon led to one of the third-floor rooms, and waited for Ms. Isip to formally begin the club meeting. Funny how I could pinpoint which members were new: they were silent, I haven't seen them in previous school years, and they sat as one big chunk at the side of the room.

- The session started when Ms. Isip told everyone that we were celebrating my birthday, side from the workshop proper, and so the session began with an awesome "Genie" dance number by Jordan and company. I had - and still have - no idea how they knew that I fancied SNSD and their dances.

- I also appreciated how some former members having their NCAE review (third year HS) took time to stop by and at least say hello. That was one of the things that really touched me yesterday morning.

- For some reason, Jordan and everyone else was asking me to dance an SNSD dance. I had forgotten most of the parts of "Oh!" so I requested if I could dance "Gee" instead - something I've done a thousand times both here and in Korea. HAHA. Good thing someone had "Gee" in their phone, and someone had a speaker. Hahahaha.

- Just before I began to dance, someone was testing the lights, and I had a hunch what was going to happen next. After a few seconds, someone closed the lights, and Ms. Isip brought a cake with a ton of candles. I quickly made a wish - which I can't seem to remember what - and blew all the candles. After that, Jordan and people gave my this big, yellow, and rolled-up cartolina with messages on it.

- I soon danced my "Gee," accompanied by Clarice, and yes I seemed to have mad a fool out of myself again. Hey, at least I wasn't wearing a barong or a bahag like I had done previously!! Haha.

- While setting up for the workshop proper, I introduced myself to the new members, and later taught everyone how to do a certain clapping game I learned from interpretative dancer Jung Young Doo in our expression workshop during my week-long stay in Korea last June.

- The original version was simple: everyone should form a circle, and one person will clap his hands, directing that clap to a certain person, and the person "tagged" should pass the clap to another member in the circle. Ideally, this should go from slow to fast.

- Ms. Isip wanted to let the members loosen up to each other, so I made a variation by letting the person call out the name of the person tagged. This meant that everyone in the circle should be familiar with each other's names. Initially, we had two circles, and soon, I asked them to make one big circle.

- I later asked everyone to do the original version of the game, the objective being the development of eye contact and precision; the earlier variation's goal was to get to know each other, developing voice clarity, and precision too.

- The last variation of the game that I did was to have the basic clap-tagging format, but with one person saying a word, and the following person saying another word that began with the letter following the first letter of the previous word. (Example: person 1 says "a"pple, person 2 says "b"all, person 3 says "c"oat, etc.) The goal of this version was to practice spontaneity and presence of mind.

- After a few rounds, Ms. Isip took over, and introduced an ageless acting/improvisation exercise. A sheet of cloth was to be passed around, with each member integrating the cloth in a scene, or using it as something else. Some used it as a diaper, a baby, a magic carpet, a mermaid's tail, etc.

- The morning ended with everyone discussing about the play that the club would probably be watching in/near Shangri-La, and thinking of where to eat.

- I decided to tag along with some MASCKS members, and Ms. Isip, when they decided to eat at McDonald's. I ate lightly, since I had a lunch date with Marga and Clarisse (though she wasn't able to make it because she wasn't feeling well,) but I decided to treat the people I was with; we were around 9 I think. Teehee.

- Thank you MASCKS for preparing everything. I really made me happy, let alone surprised. I might have under-reacted yesterday morning since I lacked sleep, but please know how happy and touched I was with everything. Thank you once again for letting me handle yesterday's workshop too!! I hope you learned a thing or two, as I have learned many things from you during that 2-hour session. :D:D:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment