Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blockies' Historical And Cultural Afternoon: Not Too Late To Start College Fun (??)




- September 4, 2011, Sunday.

- This early afternoon, my former (college) blockmate Nina tweeted that she'd be going to the National Museum and Intramuros on her own. She wanted to explore the place since she was never able to visit them (Nina's isn't from Manila), and probably because she was a bit free today.

- I decided to accompany Nina after I realized that I had nothing better to do, and that I could show her around, since she'd be going alone. I asked Nina if it was OK for me to accompany her, and thankfully, she agreed.

- I was ready in less than 5 minutes, and rode the train to UN Avenue, and went to the National Museum to meet Nina. After several text messages and calls - and even a wrong entrance at the Dept. of Tourism - I realized that I was inside the WRONG national museum. I was waiting inside the new national museum, while Nina was at the old national museum which also happened to be the old Senate Building (the one beside the Manila City Hall.)

- I quickly ran to the old national museum, where Nina met me at the entrance, and started going through all the galleries. Since it was a Sunday, entrance fees to both national museums were free. Cameras were allowed inside, as long as they were the "usual" cameras (ie. digicam, cellphone camera,) but SLRs were still not allowed inside for some odd reason.

- Our "tour" started big and famous: the Spoliarium. Couldn't resist not taking photos, despite bad photos as far as I am concerned, but yay for blockie bonding. My college block wasn't really a close block; we were too diverse, but we were all friends, at least I think so. We never hung out like all the other blocks, and we were also the block with the most number of people who dropped out from Ateneo, disappeared from school, and shifted out of AB Communication (Nina being one of the people who shifted out.) It's OK, I still love my block anyway. Haha.

- It was fun to go around the galleries, and talking to Nina about Ateneo stuff and commenting on the artworks and exhibits. I was also pleasantly surprised to know that the old museum was modernized a bit with better lighting, more organized exhibits, and less clutter (and spider webs.) The last time I went to the old national museum, in summer of 2003, most parts of the museum seemed like filthy attics or basements, or museum warehouses. The depressing and dim lighting - or no lighting at all (some galleries relied on sunlight)- also let people see how filthy the rooms were. Since it was Nina's first time there, I told her how lucky she was to have seen the modernized museum.

- We also passed through the old senate hall that was currently being restored. We weren't supposed to go inside, but we still did. We took photos and marveled at the white statues on the walls near the ceiling that seemed like the pantheon of Greek/Roman gods.

- We finished all the galleries and decided to pass by the new national museum just around the corner. Because the exhibits in the new national museum were more interactive and cultural, with more exhibits focusing on the anthropological history of the Philippine society and culture, the exhibits seemed to be more colorful. I showed Nina the Laguna Copper Plate that I first saw in the same museum in 2009 (I was with high school friends when I first visited the new national museumm,) and told her why it was special to me to see the seeming missing link to the pre-colonial and Hindu-Buddhist-influenced culture of the Philippines.

- We finished the second museum at almost 5pm, and crossed the road to visit the historical walled city of Manila. I was excited to take Nina there because we'd both get to immerse ourselves in what once were lectures from our history teachers and professors. I also brought my trusy map, which made me look like Dora. Yay for Dora-ness!! Haha.

- We first had a short stopover at 7-Eleven, and visited the San Agustin Church and the Manila Cathedral on the way to Fort Santiago. Small raindrops started to fall just as we were near the entrance of Fort Santiago, and realized that we had around 20 minutes to see the Fort before it closed. I quickly took Nina to see the Rizal Shrine, which also led to the dungeons and the open area beside the Pasig River.

- After taking some pictures, we both decided to head home, since the rain could get worse, and because the sun set already. Nina took a jeep back to Taft, while I took the risky and tiring decision to walk home.

- The walk home was another adventure of its own. After asking some guards where the post office was located, just to make sure I was going the right way, I passed through some quiet streets and spooky historical buildings. I tried to walk faster than my usual fast-walk, and found Jones Bridge. I passed through the familiar and home-like Chinatown, and arrived home looking like a roasted pig. Haha. Exercise much?? HAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment