Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Early "Royal" Birthday: Purple is The Color of the Day




- September 17, 2011, Saturday.

- If I could get any word to describe today, that would be the color "purple." It wasn't enough that 3 out of 4 men in today's morning class was wearing purple, but many other purple things came up throughout the rest of the day. By the way, my professor made my morning when he commented that my wardrobe today was nice, and so are the other costumes I wear in class. I was wearing a purple reau praratchathan (the Thai national costume for men.) I also accessorized my praratchathan with a (fake) gold keychain-turned-necklace with a Thai mythological being as a pendant (I wore the same thing tonight.)

- Today's main event was my first ever "formal but early" birthday celebration, the first-but-informal one being the pizza I ordered for Lennie and Renee during last Wednesday's photoshoot. I invited my friends Nellie, Josephine, and Oi Hing. I was especially glad that Oi Hing was able to make it today, since she's usually drowned with schoolwork and the like, so I rarely meet up with her.

- I decided to celebrate at Cafe Mezzanine, since I always liked its cozy ambiance. Since it was owned by "Mr. Ube," Gerry Chua, the main color of the restaurant was, you guessed it, purple. Nellie was kind enough to give me a large Cadbury chocolate bar as a present, which of course, had purple packaging.

- Aside from my birthday, I also celebrated a late mid-autumn festival, so I had a little "giveaway" to my three friends. I prepared three origami lotuses, each with a Ferrero-Rocher chocolate inside. I didn't want to be to cliche and give out mooncakes, and since 4 different nations - Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean - I decided to give them something they can enjoy, and I thought that circular chocolate was a good alternative to the Korean rice sweets, or the Chinese mooncake.

- We ordered a few dishes, all were supposed to be "light" dishes, which also meant finishing the dishes quickly too. I ordered two extra "appetizers" so we could extend out stay (and our talk) in Cafe Mezzanine. Oh year, during the early part of our dinner, we were able to meet my friend Shirby (and her mom.) I've been looking for Shirby during the last few times I passed by their store. Usually, I only see her mom in the store. Haha.

- At around 7:30, we all went to the nearby President - the big one which used to be an opera theater - so we could have our "traditional Chinoy" mango-sago dessert. I realized that I was getting old, because I forgot to bring Hing and Nellie's gift with me, and luckily one of the waitresses there caught me in time. Sigh.

- We were welcomed at President by a large crowd of people, and a lot of busy staff. Since there were too many people in the restaurant, we had to wait for around 10 minutes to be seated, which meant longer talking time.

- Just as we were seated not long after the wait, we all saw another common friend - Trisha. We all had a short talk before the 4 of us got to settle down and have our big big big big bowl of mango-sago. Just when I thought purple was nowhere in sight, as President's theme was pinkish-red, the woman who brought the bill had a PURPLE pen for me to sign the charge slips. Haha. I liked her pen because it had a nice purple color, and it was easy to write with.

- We all went home around 9pm, with Josephine hitching a ride with Nellie, and me with Oi Hing. It was my first time to hear Oi Hing speak in straight Cantonese, with her dad, and I was amused. Haha. After many many years, there's a first for everything, even with the people you know well. :)) :)) :)) :))

- I've had enough purple for one day, but not enough friendship for one evening. :)) :)) :)) :)) Until then. :D:D:D:D

No comments:

Post a Comment